Artist Residency: Open Call
Otte1 is excited to announce its annual open call for artists working in a wide range of disciplines including visual art, music composition, and literature.
The Otte1 artists’ residency – named after its location at Ottestr.1 in Eckernförde, Germany – is a place for research, artistic work, and international encounters. It supports professional artists at various stages in their career. The board of friends of otte1 – Schleswig-Holsteinisches Künstlerhaus awards scholarships from the Ministry of Education, Science and Culture of the State of Schleswig-Holstein every year – subject to coverage by the state budget.
Applications are open to professional artists in the fields of visual arts, music composition, and literature. The grants are awarded as three-month work and residency scholarships. The application is made via a portfolio. A concrete project does not necessarily have to be carried
out; research and the development of project approaches are also eligible for funding. Four individual studios/ living spaces are available rent-free, and scholarship holders receive additionally a financial support of 1.000 euros per month.
The Künstlerhaus otte1 acts as a mediator between former and current scholarship holders. It aims to build a bridge between the present and the future of the artists. The artists’ residence reaches out to the public through lectures, concerts, open studio events, and exhibitions. Works by the scholarship holders are regularly presented in the exhibition space of Otte1 in the centre of Eckernförde.
The application for 2023-2024 residencies is now open through Friday 30 June 2023,
11:59PM CET. Applications are accepted exclusively online by following this link: Application.
The evaluation is carried out by a jury of experts, and the list of selected applicants is expected to be published around the end of July.
- Eligible to apply are visual artists, music composers, and writers. We accept artists at different stages in their careers, working with many different mediums. Collectives and groups may apply to the residency through our open call. If accepted into the program you will share one studio space. Please submit one application on behalf of the entire group and clarify in the application that you are applying on behalf of a collective.
- Artists should not be enrolled in a degree granting educational program during their residency. If you are currently enrolled but will be graduated by the time of the residency you are applying for, you are welcome to apply.
- The residency is intended as a period for research and reflection on the artistic practice. All residents are expected to spend a minimum of 20 hours a week working in their studio. Residents should be enthusiastic about participating in residency meetings and events, including residency gatherings, visits from curators, and a seasonal open studio.
- Residents are encouraged to organize a program during the residency that will directly benefit their practice, such as an artist talk, exhibition, live performance, a small workshop, a conversation with invited participants, or other customized event. A small budget is provided for this event.
Studios and Accessibility
Otte 1 – the Schleswig-Holstein Artists’s Residency provides the scholarship holders with four furnished studios. They are between 51 and 64 square metres in size. The four flats with separate or integrated bedrooms are equipped with a kitchen and bathroom. There is a courtyard and a garden for common use. The studios are located on the ground floor, and first floor of an old historical building, accessible by stairs. Some of the studios, communal spaces and building facilities are wheelchair accessible, but the studios are not in general suitable for handicapped people.
For more information on the available studios please follow this link: Studios.
Otte 1’s current open call includes residencies up to December 2024.
The following slots are available:
1 October – 30 December 2023
1 January – 31 March 2024
1 April – 30 June 2024
1 July – 30 September 2024
1 October – 31 December 2024
Please specify the preferred seasonal cycle in your application.
Please send us your application documents in PDF format including the following:
- Short bio and a brief description of your practice (one A4 page max.)
- Artist cv
- Portfolio (20 pages max.)
If relevant, please provide us with samples of your work, and links to video or sound files for film and sound-related submissions.
Please submit your proposal online at Application until Friday 30 June 2023, 11:59PM CET. No confirmation of receipt will be sent. Only selected applicants will be contacted, approximately by the end of July. Complementary online interviews may be held.
The awarded scholarship holders will be informed in writing by Otte1 about the selected residency period as well as the studio they have been allocated a scholarship for. Due to the large number of applications, we are unable to send individual feedback. The names of the scholarship holders will be published on the website of the Otte1.
For any questions related to the residency and application requirements which are not covered in this document please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. It will not be possible to answer last minute questions on the night of the application deadline, so please make sure to
submit your application in good time.